Alonissos Island Greece - a Melaghakia Circular Walk out in the Hills.
Melaghakia - Aghios Konstantinos - Aghios Georgios - Melaghakia Walk out in the Alonissos hills on beautiful paths and sometimes streambeds.
We had to use a car to do this circular walk since no public transport goes this way, although
it should be possible to get a taxi to the start and arrange with the driver to pick you up again at a nominated time - the taxi drivers are happy to do this.
This Alonissos walk is not strenuous and only has one steep descent (to Aghios Konstantinos) and climb - is mostly on rocky paths and has
open areas as well as lots of trees and foliage - and plenty of lizards etc.
Park at Meleghakia [N39°13'46" E023°55'11"]
right on the hairpin - there is a large parking area
here and a notice board and map (path yellow 13) clearly indicates the start of the path (the path has frequent path markers all along it).
The path goes alongside a dry river bed and is actually more of a track than a path to start with - once the dry river bed ends the "track" changes into a proper path and makes it's away down the island towards the church at Aghios Konstantinos. As you walk
along you from time to time come into more open field areas (called Lakka) and glades - don't miss looking at the old threshing circles just before Xouna.
From Xouna the path goes through more wooded areas and goes into and out of several deep cuts at the bottom of which are old river and stream beds - it really is very pleasant walking through here.
The path comes out on top of the cliffs above Aghios Konstantinos - you then have to wind your way steeply down to the church - there is a fireman's seat/roof here which is a
good spot for eating lunch or of course you can sit outside the church along with the lizards etc. From the church continue along a dirt
track to reach a track junction [N39°12'49" E023°53'33"]
- turn left and after a few metres look out for the cobbled path on the left which is the start of path
12 to Aghios Georgios. The path starts off on a quite rocky surface - at a junction go right (path marked 12) via a more grassy area - keep on this grassy path and continue along soon going through woods and then more open areas.
When you eventually get to an open area with a building in front of you the path goes to the right and is lined with high foliage and is pleasure to walk along. The
path comes out by a seat and parking area and located down on the left is the tiny little church of Aghios Georgios. From the car park turn left on the
main road and follow it back (fortunately downhill most of the way) to the original starting point. (look out on the right for a very large pond or livestock watering hole maybe ? which might well have loads of birds messing about on and around it).
These are our items about Alonissos Greece
- Alonissos Greek Island Holiday Guides and Photos
- Beaches to try on the Greek Island of Alonissos
- Alonissos Patitiri Walk visiting beaches on the Greek Island
- Alonissos Island Greece walk to Ghialia Beach and Votsi Harbour
- Gheladhias, Meghalo Chorafi, Meghali Amos, Patitiri Walk Alonissos, Greece
- Alonissos Greece beach walks and photos
- Walking through Kastanarema Gorge on Alonissos Greece
- Alonissos Greece Walk Tourkovighla, Meghali Amos, Aghi Anarghiri, Patitiri
- A circular walk from Remata on Alonissos Greece
- Of possible interest are Alonissos's Greek Island Neighbours - see our
- Skopelos Greece Holiday, Beach and Walks
- Skiathos Greece Walks, Beaches and Holiday Guide
- Please look at our other Greek Island holiday, walks and beach guides - around 30 Greek Islands plus Athens.
Via our Resources Page
there is a menu showing more of our travel websites covering holidays and tours of Cyprus and India. Also our many topics about England - walks on national trails and paths, 100s of wild flower photos, items about canals and rivers including The Thames Path.