Greek Island Walks - walking the hills, coasts and beaches on Greece's Holiday Islands.
Greece Walking Guides for Lipsi, Patmos, Sikinos, Syros, Lesbos, Serifos, Sifnos, Kythnos, Symi, Thassos, Crete, Samos, Naxos, Skopelos, Alonissos, Andros, Kythnos, Kos, Paros and Paxos.
Greece's Islands really do vary enormously not only in their countryside and scenery but also in their variety of food, wine and beaches. If you enjoy getting around whilst on holiday and particularly if you enjoy taking a walk or two then some Islands are
particularly excellent because of their paths and moni-paths which are available for walking and hiking. Even close neighbouring islands are often different - for example Alonissos, Skopelos and Sciathos are geographically
quite close to each other but certainly are not similar to each other - these three are just right for a bit of Greek island hopping of course.
Our "Greek Islands Walking Guides" pages are scattered with descriptive and scenic photos of the areas we visited and walked around so even if you do not like walking
long distances the photos do show what an island has to offer for sightseeing and touring perhaps by car or by cycling.The Photo on the right is a beautiful little church nestled amongst the trees and fields in the Amari Valley on Crete.
On most of the topics mentioned below there are several more walks available/described.
- Alonissos Greek Island Walks
- The Greek Island of Alonissos is a good choice for walking as the island has a good network of paths and tracks many of which are way-marked. We have walking guides for ten walks which might be of interest out in Alonissos's lovely scenic countryside - both circular and end to end described with hiking distances varying around 7 to 14km and mostly starting or ending around Patitiri.
- Andros Greece Walks
- The Greek Island of Andros in springtime is probably the most scenic island we have been too in Greece - full of streams, springs, old buildings, churches, old ruined mills and wildlife - really excellent for
walking and sightseeing. The miles of walled paths and Moni-paths are excellent. There nine Andros walks varying in distance from 6 to 22km - visiting beaches, gorges and monasteries - and nearly always on mule tracks, paved paths and moni-pati.
- Crete Walks and Photos in Greece
- Crete offers a variety of sightseeing and walking opportunities from beaches to beautiful gorges to mountain tracks,
ravines and trails. We have six walks described including walks to Palm Beach and hiking through two of Crete's gorges - Imbros Gorge and the excellent and wild
(and often as not wet) Prassanos Gorge where you do have to think about where you are walking and consider the local weather conditions and so on.
- Several Walks on Kos Island, Greece.
- Kos is quite a flat island but does have it's hilly bit too located around Pyli and Zia where you can still find some - lets say - typical Greek Island villages, really nice scenery and a little peace and quiet and some nice walks to enjoy.
- Kythnos Greece short walks.
- With only a few days stay on Kythnos we had little time for many walks but there are a couple of short walks described.
- Various Lesvos Greek Island Walks.
- Lesvos - the walking available and the island's scenery are excellent - we walked around 250km whilst on the island over a couple of weeks holiday. There are ten hiking trips described for Lesbos plus many photos.
- Several short walks on Lipsi Island, Greece.
- There are several fairly short walks described for this peaceful Greek Island - Spring is the best time to visit Lipsi if possible.
- Naxos Greece Walks
- Laced with beautiful walled paths and moni-paths, pretty villages and excellent scenery Naxos is a brilliant island for holiday walking. We have 6 walks described plus photos of the island's beaches, coasts, paths, many small churches, villages and countryside.
- Paros Island Greece Walks
- The Greek Island of Paros is perhaps even better than it's neighbouring island of Naxos (just) for the sheer scenery and huge amount of walks available. It is possible to walk round most of the island's coastline visiting all sorts of beaches on the way, several of which are nice and quiet and therefore easy to use for naturists. Internally the Island of Paros has plenty of moni-paths and walled paths although some have fallen into neglect as they are not used very much which is a shame.
We have described nine walks which might be of interest on Paros including going to Golden Beach, Aliki, Aghia Arini, some really interesting ancient marble quarries, Tripiti as well as visiting a variety of Paros's multitude of beautiful old churches and monasteries.
- Patmos Greek Island Walks
- The Dodecanese Greek Island of Patmos - a few short walks to enjoy if you are on holiday on the Island.
- Paxos Island Walks in Greece
- Paxos may be a very small Greek Island but it packs in lots of beautiful walking opportunities - beautiful walled paths are available for walkers all over the island and we have described nine walks on Paxos Island all with plenty of descriptive photo. Hiking guides include going off to Trypitos Arch and Geramonachos. There is also a short Anti-Paxos walk detailed which goes to the lighthouse and back.
- Samos Walks in Greece
- The walking available on Samos lets you visit beaches and go out on the island's hills where you can find monasteries and see lots of churches. We have five walks descriptions for Samos which vary between going via countryside and/or visiting beaches.
- Sikinos Greek Island Walks
- Sikinos has some excellent mule and moni paths available for anyone who likes really scenic and enjoyable walks - and the mapping available for this quiet Greek island is really accurate.
- Skopelos Greece Walks and Photos
- Our Skopelos walks take you out visiting beaches, several monasteries including the huge monastery at Panormortis, plus going to old churches and walks out in the forests and hiking up into the hills.
- Symi Greece Walks
- Symi (or Simi) is good for walking - the island is remarkably hilly with what ends up as a huge climb if walking from the harbour, up the Kali Strata and then tackle next even steeper climb on the beautiful donkey-path to get over the saddle and into the centre of the island. We have 9 mostly circular walks described with distances varying from 5km to 20km - visiting beaches and the many churches and old monasteries on the island.
- Thassos Greek Island Walks
- Thassos offers quite a few interesting walks to enjoy whilst on holiday including walks via churches and monasteries, a trip up to Kastro and also another hike which takes you past a large working marble quarry.
- Skiathos and Santorini - information about walking on these Greek Islands is now covered by their own websites:
- Santorini Greece Walks Beaches Holiday guide
- The Greek Island of Santorini - Thira is well known for it's amazing coastal scenery particularly by the cliffs at the island's harbour but perhaps less well known about are the considerable amount of excellent walks which can be found internally on the island.
- Skiathos Greece Walks, Beaches and Holiday Guide
- Skiathos has some really lovely wild looking beaches to discover and enjoy and the island's forests are excellent to walk around - though there are not too many footpaths - mostly you have to use dirt tracks.
The above are specific "walks" topic pages for particular Greek Islands however all the islands mentioned plus a few others are also covered on our general holiday topics - please visit our Greek Island holiday destinations
We have several other websites which might be of interest about holiday places, touring and walks covering India and Cyprus.
Also a variety of items about England - Wild Flowers, National Trail and Woodland Walks plus quite a few canals, rivers and The Thames Path. Please visit our Resources Page
to see the links to these topics.